The Best of Estadios de España in 2011


When I started work on Estadios de Fútbol en España back in February of this year, I wasn't exactly sure what I was trying to do or who I was trying to reach. All I knew was that Spain had some fantastic stadiums and I knew a fair bit about them. Well, 10 months on and the site has received 127,000 hits and is followed by nearly 500 people on Twitter. Well, I guess that's progress.
This is also a chance to have a look at some of my favourite
pictures of 2011. This is El Mazo in Haro
This post is just an opportunity to say thanks to everybody who has shown an interest and either followed, re-tweeted or offered advice. Some have even been brave enough to let me talk to them or write for them about the stadiums of Spain. A special thank you to them. Now before I get all Gwyneth Paltrow on you, let’s have a look at some of the best and most popular pages from 2011.
And the winner is... Real Madrid's Estadio Santiago Bernabeu
Unsurprisingly, the most visited pages of the past 10 months have been Real Madrid’s Estadio Santiago Bernabeu and Barcelona’s Camp Nou, but I’ve the Tartan Army to thank for their interest in the third most visited page, The Estadio Jose Rico Perez. The Scottish national side paid a visit in October and the page proved a hit with the travelling fans and those watching on TV.
Close, but no cigar. La Rosaleda proved popular
By the end of November, I’d completed work on the histories of all of the stadiums in La Primera and the link that was posted on Twitter led to a big upturn in interest in the site. Another popular series was the Gone but not Forgotten posts that looked at the former stadiums across Spain. They can be an absolute sod to research, but worth the graft and I have unearthed some superb photographs along the way.
Barcelona's Les Corts was one of the most popular "Lost" stadiums
Understandably, it is the bigger stadiums that receive the most attention, but this site has also shone a light on some of the smaller grounds that would never get any coverage, but for a peculiar and indulgent site like this. So step forward Constancia's Nou Camp D’Inca, Alcudia's El Arcs, Manzanares Campo Municipal, Olimpic Xativa's La Murta, and Europa's Nou Sardenya.
Torrelavega's  Nuevo Malecon, due to open in January 2012
Finally, what can you expect in 2012? Well I will pull my finger out and finish the final two stadiums in La Segunda, namely the Nueva Condomina and the Nuevo Colombino. Gimnastca’s new stadium in Torrelavega is due to open in January, so expect a post on that and I am working on a series to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Spain’s staging of the World Cup. Thanks for all your interest and support and here’s to a prosperous and healthy New Year.