The Estadio José Rico Pérez is a monument to the visionary President of Hércules CF, who saw in the 1960’s, that Alicante was at the centre of the Costa Brava’s economic boom and wanted his beloved club to be a part of it. This story however, pre-dates the opening of the stadium by 60 years and follows the toing and froing of the club, both on and off the pitch.
|José Rico Pérez - Now that is one mighty slab of stand|
|Campo de Bardin was getting squeezed in the 1950's|
Over the next 30 years, Hércules saw three short visits to La Primera, but conversely, also tasted 2 spells in Tercera, in the late fifties and late sixties. They also left Campo de Bardin and in 1954 returned to a renovated and expanded Campo de la Vina. Whilst it did not have a covered stand it did have a higher capacity and resembled neighbouring Elche CF’s Altabix ground. You can see footage of La Vina as well as other Spanish stadia from yester-year here.