There must have been several times during the history Terrassa FC that their fans have thought they were on the cusp of the big time, only to see a large "Failure to Launch" sign illuminate and the inevitable commencement of a slip back down the leagues. Terrassa has a population of 210,000 and lies 18 miles north west of Barcelona and 5 miles west of Sabadell. You would think that given it's size and proximity to so many footballing hot-beds, something would have clicked, but in over a hundred years of footballing action, the club has mustered a couple of Copa Catalunya's and 15 seasons in La Segunda.
Formed in 1906 by students of Terrassa's School of Industrial Engineering and playing under the name of Young's Foot-Ball Club, the team played in the school's grounds until 1910, when due to urban sprawl and large crowds, they moved to Campo del Canonget. In May 1911, the club changed its name to Tarrasa Football Club, its colours from red and white to white and blue and joined the Catalan Football Federation. Soon, Campo del Canonget was too small for the crowds they were attracting and on 2 March 1913, the club inaugurated a new ground at Calle Pi y Margall, which would later be known as Campo del Obispo Irurita. The club made steady progress in the Catalan leagues, reaching the second division or Primera Categoría B in 1915. It finally made it to the top division for the 1924-25 season and finished in a very respectable fourth place. By the time the Spanish national league started in February 1929, the club was struggling on the pitch, finishing bottom and relegated from the Catalan top division, and losing players to the professional ranks.
|Estadi Olimpic de Terrassa - A vision in er... grey|
|Calle Pi y Margall in the 1920's. The ground was renamed Campo |
del Obispo Irurita in 1940 and remained Terrassa's home until 1960
Terrassa spent nearly all of the 1930's in Primera Categoria B, winning the league in in three successive seasons from 1932 to 1935, but failing in the play-offs. It finally reached Primera Categoria A in 1940-41 and in the following season won the league. This coincided with a restructuring of the national leagues and Club Deportivo Tarrasa, as they were now known, found themselves in La Segunda for the first time. In Group II of a regionalised league, Terrassa finished fifth out of eight teams and due to another reorganisation of the league, had to play in a relegation play-off group, featuring amongst others Deportivo Alaves, Alcalá SD and CD Tudela. Needless to say, Terrassa was relegated to the Tercera, where they remained for another 11 years. A first Tercera title arrived in 1953-54 and direct promotion to La Segunda was the club's reward, which was a relief given their failure to navigate the play-offs at the end of the previous three seasons. This saw the start of the most important period of the club's history with seven consecutive seasons in the second tier and a move in August 1960 to the clubs present home, the Estadio Municipal de Deportes. During this spell, Terrassa never truly pushed for promotion to La Primera, or with the obvious exception of their final season, were they threatened by relegation.
|Estadio Municipal de Deportes. A small cover was erected |
over the west sides third tier in the early sixties
|The stadium was the focal point of Terrassa's impressive Sports Village|
|It's the Olympics, so let's have another opening ceremony|
|Back in the Tercera in front of a spartan crowd|
|It's amazing what a lick of paint can do. Estadi Olimpic in 2010|