Promotion Play-offs - Segunda B - Week One

The first round of matches in the Segunda B play-offs are usually tense and cagey affairs, and with one exception, this proved to be the case. With the participants keen to ensure that their ties remained alive going into next weekend, seven of the eight matches remain in the balance.

That one exception occurred in Cadiz where the home team was given a proper seeing-to by the youngsters of Real Madrid Castilla, who romped to a 0-3 victory. All three Castilla goals showed touches of class, with Joselu’s neat turn and accurate finish putting the visitors ahead on 16 minutes. Joselu doubled Castilla’s lead on 32 minutes with a sublime back heal. The tie was all but put to bed with a third goal on 81 minutes, and Joselu was again at the centre of things, back healing the ball into the path of Alvaro to round off the scoring. The team’s meet next Sunday at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stéfano, with Castilla nailed on certainties for promotion to La Segunda.

The other Campeones tie saw CD Mirandés entertain Atlético Baleares at a rain-soaked Estadio Municipal Anduva. This season’s cup giant-killers Mirandés dominated the tie, but will be concerned that their efforts did not amount to more than a slender advantage. The game’s only goal came in the 50th minute when striker Aritz Mújika tapped home from close range. The tie now switches to Palma where the 2nd leg will take place at 10.30 CET in order that Mirandés can catch a scheduled flight back to the mainland. Atlético must be delighted that they are still in the tie, and with a good home record on their plastic pitch and vociferous home support, Mirandés may just pay for their missed chances.

The teams finishing second, third & fourth also started their play-off campaigns at the weekend, and the first match saw Basque outfit Amorebieta square-up alongside Real Balompédica Linense. The team from La Linea took an early lead when Copi chipped the home keeper in the third minute. Amorebieta equalised on 40 minutes when Alberdi tapped home on the line after the ball had hit the post. A minute later however, the home side’s right back Aldalur was shown a straight red card for a reckless sliding challenge on Linense’s Merino. The match finished one a piece, with the Andulucians now favourite to progress.

There was a decent crowd at Nuevo Estadio de la Victoria where Real Jaén met SD Ponferradina. The home side had the better of a goalless first half, and took the lead early in the second period when Samuel deflected a cross into his own net on 56 minutes. Real Jaén extended their lead four minutes later when Javi López scored on the rebound after his first shoot was blocked. Nine minutes later, Acorán threw Ponferradina a life line with an excellent finish from an acute angle. The two teams now head to Ponferrada with the tie very much in the balance.

Badalona met Tenerife and drew 1-1 in an entertaining first leg. Tenerife missed a great chance to take the lead on three minutes when Perona headed straight at the keeper when unmarked six yards from goal. Badalona took the lead just after halftime, when Goikoetxea fired home in a crowded penalty box. With the home fans whistling for full time, midfielder Alvaro Zazo threw himself at a cross to score with a diving header and ensure that Tenerife start the 2nd leg as favourites.

CD Lugo and Eibar met at the Estadio Anxo Carro on Sunday evening and the Galician’s sneaked a first leg advantage thanks to Belencoso’s 74th minute header, following a defensive mix-up. The teams now meet at Eibar’s Estadio Ipurua with the tie evenly balanced. You can watch footage of the game here.

Orihuela’s Ibán Espadas gave his team a surprise 25th minute lead in their match at Albacete. The home side regrouped and clawed back an equaliser in 55th minute thanks to Adriá’s neat finish. The match ended in a 1-1 draw with Orihuela undoubtedly the happier of the two teams.

Newcomers to the play-offs Huracán Valencia and CF Lucena played out a sterile affair before a record crowd at the Campo Vicente Martínez Català. A game of few chances ended 0-0 with Lucena now most likely to progress.

There will be another update and footage next Monday following the second legs.