Huesca may be Aragón's second city, but until recently it was not home to Aragón's second team. In fairness, Real Zaragoza dominate all things football in this region and next best has often been a distant runner-up. Andorra FC, CD Binefar and even Zaragoza B have held the mantle and for a few years in the early 1950's Union Deportiva Huesca reached La Segunda. Alas, UD Huesca went to the footballing knackers yard in 1956 but their successor, Sociedad Deportiva Huesca, recently enjoyed a 5 year spell La Segunda.
First, a quick history lesson. Football has been played in Huesca since 1909 and twenty years later the forerunner of UD Huesca, CD Oscense was formed. They changed their name to CD Huesca in 1931 and reached the Tercera for two seasons before the start of the Civil War. The club was reformed in 1940 and merged with CD Español to form UD Huesca. They played their matches at Campo de Villa Isabel which had a capacity of 6,000. They reached the Tercera in 1943 and two years later moved to Campo de San Jorge, a better appointed, but initially smaller ground. UD Huesca won the Tercera title 1949-50 and entered La Segunda.
|The successful UD Huesca that won promotion to La Segunda in 1950|
|The West Tribuna takes shape in 1971|
|El Alcoraz was named after a medieval battle that took place in Huesca|
|The new wing on the West Tribuna. Can't see the join!|
|Building for the future. El Alcoraz in 2011|
|La Grada General in September 2011|
|Time for one more photo and it's a belter!|